Attacks planned for Europe
The Prime Minister of Iraq, Haider al-Abadi, has told the media Islamic State cells in Iraq are planning terror attacks on the US and French metro system. The plan was revealed to the PM on Thursday by captured Islamic State members, and after further questioning he confirmed the sources to be credible. The US have said they have not received any information to back this up, with National Security Council spokeswoman saying, “We have not confirmed such a plot, and would have to review any information from our Iraqi partners before making further determination.”
Major terrorist attack for Europe said to be inevitable
The European Union is bracing for a major terror attack as Islamic State fighters return to Europe. The 28 countries that form the EU are sending their interior ministers to Luxembourg in the next fortnight to work on a policy to combat the terrorists. It is thought that about 3000 Europeans have become foreign fighters and France is expecting over a hundred of these to return home. Social media powerhouses are also being invited to the meeting with EU Official for Belgium Gilles de Kerchove saying, “We want these companies to develop a counter-narrative. There will be a big discussion with the internet players.”
IS executioner’s identity revealed by FBI
The Islamic State militant who spoke with a British accent in the IS beheading videos of journalists has been identified. FBI Director James Comey broke the news in Washington on Thursday, but refused to tell journalists who he is. A young London-based rapper, Adel Abdel Bary, has been ruled out as a suspect.
Nigerian school girl escapes Boko Haram months after kidnapping
A 20-year-old Nigerian girl kidnapped earlier this year has been found in a north east village in Nigeria. Police spokesman Emmanuel Ojukwu says, “I can confirm that on 24 September 2014 at about 5pm, a girl, 20 years of age, among the abducted Chibok girls was dropped off by suspected Boko Haram militants at Mubi in Adamawa state. Her condition is stable. She is getting the best of medical attention.” This has come at a time when the fake leader of Boko Haram, Abubakar Shekau, is believed to have been killed by Nigerian forces in the north east of the country.
Three 9/11 NYC firefighters die from similar illnesses
On Monday, three retired firefighters who were at Ground Zero when the World Trade Centre fell, died from the same illnesses believed to be caused by the release of toxic dust when the towers fell. The firefighters, all veterans of over a decade, died from Leukaemia and another esophageal cancer. Jake Lemonda, president of the Uniformed Fire Officers Association, told the press on Thursday, “On that day when first responders arrived, the air was toxic and remained toxic for many months afterward.” A total of 92 firefighters have died from illnesses caused by the 9/11 event. – Brian Ennew
Top photo from Utenriksdepartementet UD’s Flickr photostream.