A car and motorcycle accident brought the Sydney Harbour Bridge to a standstill this morning.
A Volkswagen Golf and a motorcycle collided near Milsons Point at about 6am. The 25-year-old driver of the Volkswagen was not injured, and assisted police while the motorcyclist was taken to St Vincent’s Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. The incident caused major traffic delays with cars backed up for 12 kilometres and three northbound lanes closed until 8am.
Malcolm Turnbull expected to call early election
Speculation is growing that Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull will call an early double dissolution election. Since Mr Turnbull took over the reins from Tony Abbott in the leadership spill last year, the Coalition has had a prominent boost in popularity. This weekend Mr Turnbull became the only Prime Minister to attend Mardi Gras. The election date is due to be around September, but if the Government wants a double dissolution election in July, the last chance to call it is May 11 — the day after the budget is due.
Minister for Women calls for equal representation for women in government
Minister for Women Michaelia Cash said on International Women’s Day that the Government needs to lead from example on gender equality. Ms Cash outlined how the number of women on government boards has dropped slightly, with 39.1 per cent of positions now held by women. Today, the Senator told the National Press Club that women must try and do the best they can with what they are doing. “At the end of the day, I always believe that the best person on the day should get the job,” she said. “But that does not mean, at a grassroots level, we should not ensure that more women are putting themselves forward, and it is for each division to be very conscious of whether or not this is occurring.”
Eddie McGuire proposes Etihad Stadium replacement
Collingwood AFL President and media personality Eddie McGuire has put forward a proposal to demolish Etihad Stadium in Melbourne to build a new stadium next to the MCG. The proposal was reported to be $1 billion to re-vamp the Olympic precinct. Former Victorian premier Jeff Kennett has dismissed the idea, saying that it will not help the Australian Open, and other sports, moving forward. The Olympic Park Trust confirmed on Wednesday that the agreement to host the Australian Open is in place until 2036. “That being the case, then that suggestion of Eddie’s is dead and buried,” Kennett said. – Compiled from web sources by Jesse Mullens
Screengrab of Harbour Bridge traffic from Sunrise’s official Twitter feed.