Bernard Tomic’s father, accused of assaulting Barnard’s practice partner, has been suspended from the ATP Tour until further notice.
“Following last week’s incident in Madrid concerning John Tomic, and the ensuing investigation, Mr Tomic’s credential privileges have been suspended at all ATP tournaments until further notice,” the ATP said in a statement this morning.
French player Thomas Drouet – who sustained a broken nose, stitches above his eye and bruising to his neck when he was allegedly headbutted by John Tomic – has told the French sports newspaper L’Equipe that he had also seen Bernard assaulted by his father.
“He punched him in the face. Blood was dripping from his mouth onto the court. Tuesday, he attacks his son, Saturday me; what’s next?” he said.
John Tomic told a Madrid court on Monday that he acted in self-defence when he headbutted Drouet. Tomic has been ordered to attend another hearing on May 14. – Kaycee Jane Shingles-Moore
Photo of Thomas Drouet’s broken nose from Sportsbet.com.au’s Twitter feed.