France will mobilise 10 000 security troops to search for a probable accomplice to the past three terror attacks on the city. After a crisis meeting on Monday, French Prime Minister, Manuel Valls, declared the search crucial as “the threat is still present”. The meeting has come after a video emerged of one of the attackers explaining the raids, however the police are searching for the person who recorded and posted the video. Mr Valls told BFM television that France is at war against “terrorism, against jihadism, against radical Islam”, he added that approximately 5000 troops and police will be deployed to protect the 700 Jewish schools in France. Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian has said the number of mobilised troops protecting high-risk areas across France will total up to 10 000.
Egypt court acquits 26 men of debauchery
An Egyptian court has cleared 26 men of “inciting debauchery”. The men were arrested on December 7, in a bath house in Cairo during a televised raid conducted by police. The men were arrested for various offences, including debauchery and performing indecent public acts. Five of the defendants, the owner of the bath house and four staff members, were charged with facilitating debauchery in exchange for money. The verdict came after only three hearings. The defendants’ families rejoiced when the verdict was announced and a defendant, who remains anonymous for privacy reasons said: “They destroyed our lives. God rescued us.”
Homosexuality is not illegal in Egypt, however prostitution is criminalised and sometimes used against the gay community.
AirAsia plane’s data recorder found
Indonesian divers have retrieved the AirAsia Flight 8501 data recorder and located the cockpit voice recorder. Henry Bambang Soelistyo, National Search and Rescue chief, told reporters at a conference, “We succeeded in lifting the part of the black box known as the flight data recorder.”
The cockpit voice recorder was found mere hours after the data recorder was retrieved, however it remains wedged beneath heavy wreckage at a depth of 32 metres. Once the other device is recovered, both recorders will be transported to Jakarta for analysis. The data and cockpit voice recorders are crucial to understanding what lead to the plane’s crash on December 28.
A director of the National Search and Rescue Agency, SB Supriyadi, told reporters that many of the bodies are trapped in the cabin, so reaching that part of the wreckage was also a top priority. So far, only 48 bodies have been recovered in the search which includes the US, Chinese and other international naval ships. – Compiled from internet sources by Georgina McCormack
Top photo from McPig’s Flickr photostream.
From Monday to Friday during the break The Macleay Newsroom will present this daily summary of news highlights. The full Newsroom service returns in February 2015.