Jaber al-Bakr, a Syrian migrant who was arrested for his plan to bomb Berlin airport, has committed suicide while in prison.
Al-Bakr was on a hunger strike and under 24-hour surveillance when he was found dead in his cell,.
German officials received information regarding al-Bakr and raided his apartment on Saturday. They discovered 1.5kg of TATP, an explosive used in last years Brussels and Paris attacks but failed to arrest him.
He then attempted to flee his town and asked three Syrians for assistance but they turned him in to officials. He was arrested on Monday after police were notified of his whereabouts.
Al-Bakr was a Syrian refugee who had been granted asylum in Germany in 2015. Authorities say they had been watching al-Bakr for months and believe he had links to Islamic State extremists.
US and Russia to resume negotiations
Talks between the two countries broke down earlier this month, but negotiations regarding Syria will restart on Saturday between Russia and the US. US Foreign Minister John Kerry and Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov will meet in Switzerland with other key powers such as Saudi Arabia and Iran.
The US is set to put forward a multilateral approach in regards to ending the Syrian civil war crisis. This comes two days after an air attack in Aleppo, killing at least 75 people.
Trump poses global peril, says UN rights chief
Trump’s election would cause a global crisis, says U.N. High Commissioner Zeid Ra’ad al Hussein.
The leading United Nations human rights official says the policies and opinions expressed by the presidential candidate targeting the welfare of minorities, and propensity to use torture in interrogations, have caused major human rights concerns.
“If Donald Trump is elected on the basis of what he has said already – and unless that changes – I think it is without any doubt that he would be dangerous from an international point of view,” he said.
China to fund Egypt’s new capital city
Egypt’s plan to have a new capital city, east of Cairo will be partly financed by Chinese developers.
The China Fortune Land Development Company (CFLD) will provide $20 billion to the unnamed city after meeting with the Egyptian President, Adbel Fattah El Sisi. On top of this bid, another Chinese company placed a $15 billion commitment which takes the project up to a total of $45 billion.
The government is hoping the new city will act as a solution to crowding, pollution, and rising house prices. The plans for the new capital were announced in March 2015.
Lawyers withdraw defence of Paris attack suspect
The only living suspect in the Paris attacks, Salah Abdeslam, has forced his legal representation to resign after invoking his right to remain silent. Abdeslam’s two lawyers, Frank Berton and Sven Mary, said their former client was refusing to talk as a response to his detention in a high-security jail with 24-hours-a-day camera monitoring.
Abdeslam, 27, has retracted his earlier pledge to cooperate with investigators, who are seeking justice for the 130 victims killed in Paris in November 2015. – Compiled from various web sources by Alicia Camilleri and Sinead Fogarty