The Uber taxi service could save Australians $40 million a year, according to reports.
The Economic Policy Group’s internal discussion revealed that Brisbane’s taxi market could be leaving Queenslanders $40 million poorer each year. The report stated that, “limiting the number of taxis on the road resulted in higher fares and bad service and that customers had the most to lose.” The Taxi Council of Queensland claimed Uber would become a “haven for sexual predators.” Uber’s Australia’s General Manager David Rohrsheim previously spoke to news.com.au about the issue and said, “We start with background checks. We will not accept anyone with a criminal history, and that’s not the same for the taxi industry.” A review of the state’s taxi strategy is due later this year.
Female backpackers manipulated into sexual acts for a visa
Queensland’s Anti-Discrimination Commissioner Kevin Cocks told the ABC that some farm employers delayed signing off on the visa applications to manipulate travellers. “We’ve had a number of direct or indirect issues raised with us by the community members, police and other governmental agencies…At least a dozen over the past 18 months, and that’s just in the area that we’ve worked worked in,” Mr Cocks said. A spokesperson for AgForce Queensland said “anyone involved with Australian agriculture who does something illegal to be reported to police and dealt with accordingly.”
Last call for popular Kings Cross club
Hugos Bar will join the list of venues that have closed up on the Kings Cross strip this weekend after the venue had gone into voluntary administration and was subject to a decision made by administrators. Former Premier Barry O’Farrell said, “The real kick in the guts is that well-intentioned but ill-informed laws don’t appear to be solving the problem – they are simply moving it away, while the good, safe operators can’t sustain their business.” The crowds have relocated to areas such as Newtown where violence and assaults are now becoming an increasing concern.
Papua New Guinea bans foreign advisers claiming they could be spying
Prime Minister of Papua New Guinea Peter O’Neill has announced a ban on all foreign advisers working for his government, starting on January 1, 2016. The ban will affect several hundred Australian advisers working for the government as part of a $500 million aid program. Jenny Haywood-Jones, the Myer Foundation Melanesia program director at the Lowy institute for International Policy said, “Of course governments in the region and in particular in Papua New Guinea know that people that are advisers answerable to the Australian Government are reporting back to the Australian Government but I wouldn’t regard that as intelligence or spying.” Ms Haywood-Jones said that a ban on Australian advisers would prove to have a dramatic impact on the aid program by throwing staff contracts and long-term development into chaos. – Compiled from news sources by Luke Rufford
Top Photo from Daniel Horacio Agostini’s Flickr Photostream .